Learn to Solve Technical Debt in Legacy Code
Do you feel that every day’s work erodes your technical health? No matter how many re-writes or technical debt sprints you schedule, does your legacy code seem to get worse every quarter?
The first step is to address the common problems that block teams from giving you healthy code. Addressing these problems ensures that each story improves your technical health. These practices are the roots of your codebase quality.
We provide these practices in our Insight Loop: Fixing Code One Line at a Time. These fingers-on-keyboard techniques allow developers to make a 15-second tiny refactoring that will save 30 seconds in that story. If this sounds insignificant, consider the results of each developer doing this hundreds of times a day. Your healthier code now saves hours per person per day.
- Module 1: Become Risk Aware – Tagging as a Process
- Review code in minutes instead of a day.
- Know which code reviews require attention.
- Introduce fewer bugs on the most common refactorings.
- Become more aware of the risks that lead to bugs.
- Module 2: Refactor with Less Risk – Naming as a Process
- Trust the names in your team’s code.
- Spend less time coming up with names.
- Waste less time hunting for experts on code you don’t understand.
- Less code to read and understand for each story.
- Module 3: Refactor Iteratively and Quickly – The Insight Loop
- Finish code reviews more quickly.
- Be less impacted by interruptions.
- Complete stories more quickly.
- Establish trust with your product owner that you are refactoring the right amount.
- Find it safer and easier to work with code you do not understand.
- Find yourself struggling less to keep everything in mind.
- Module 4: Refactor to Test – The Legacy Testing Loop
- Unit test spaghetti code.
- Find and safely eliminate near duplicate code.
- TDD new features even when they touch old code.
- Deliver features in less time.
- Reduce dependencies with other teams and code.
What to expect in each module
- 2-week span
- 4 precise techniques learned
- 4 total hours in demos and reviews
- 20 hours directed practice in codebase
- Measurable ROI for each technique within the module
- Measurable ROI for each module
Let’s have a chat! sales@DigDeepRoots.com